Aluminum vs Copper rain gutters
Aluminum is probably the most popular rain gutters material, but copper is prized due to its high-end benefits and aesthetics. They both do a wonderful job of protecting your home from rain and snow, but they are for two completely different clients. If you want dependable protection at a reasonable price, then aluminum might be the best. Copper is for those who want rain gutters with amazing longevity and even more durability.
Aluminum Rain Gutters
- Aluminum is fairly inexpensive when compared to copper. It’s roughly less than half the price of copper, which allows you to protect your home without spending thousands of dollars.
- Due to its lightweight design, aluminum is fairly easy to install. Many do-it-yourselfers will be able to install aluminum rain gutters without any problems.
- You can get aluminum rain gutters in about 25 different colors. This is because the rain gutters are covered with enamel that protects them against rust.
- Though aluminum resists rust better than many other metals, it will rust faster than copper. This is especially true if you don’t maintain the enamel layer.
- Aluminum is susceptible to thermal damage if it’s kept in a hot environment. High or quickly changing temperatures can be harmful to aluminum rain gutters.
Copper Rain Gutters
- Copper rain gutters are expected to last as long as your home. Aluminum has a good longevity of 20 years, but copper will last much longer.
- Many people like copper’s unique color. It will also fade into a green patina with time, which many homeowners love. At the same time, this might be an issue if you don’t like how patina looks.
- Copper is stronger and more durable than aluminum. Aluminum has a tendency to dent if something hits it, but copper is much more resilient.
- This is one of the most expensive materials. Be ready for a major investment if you want to buy copper rain gutters. Installation is also very difficult due to copper’s weight.
- Thieves may target your house because copper is very valuable. They can easily make a lot of money by just taking your rain gutters, which may be an issue in certain neighborhoods.